The Mornington Tourist Railway is preserving Victoria’s railway heritage for past, present and future generations. The railway is managed and operated entirely by volunteers.
Membership has its rewards!
- Support the restoration and operation of a major tourist heritage attraction.
- With the opportunity for people of all ages and families to participate in a wide range of the activities.
- Receive complimentary travel tickets.
- Receive a monthly newsletter.
- Opportunity to join the Committee of Management.
Volunteering has even more rewards!
- Enjoy the company of new friends.
- Expand your interests and skills.
- Be part of an enthusiastic team.
- Volunteer your skills on weekdays or weekends.
- Opportunity to receive training to acquire new and enhanced skills as well as qualifications for machinery operation and train operations.
- Family $72
- Adult Individual $50
- Adult Double $66
- Concession $33
- Concession Double $60
- Junior $22
Volunteer Opportunities include:
- Customer service including ticket sales, conductor, tour guide, catering, souvenir sales and
- Marketing & sales.
- Maintenance of rail infrastructure including track, railway easement, drainage and signals.
- Locomotive & rolling stock restoration & maintenance including engineering and carpentry.
- Building infrastructure maintenance
- Train operations
- Member and volunteer recruiting.
- Management, administration and IT.
Terms and Conditions
The Mornington Railway Preservation Society, trading as the Mornington Tourist Railway is bound by the rules set down by the Department of Consumer Affairs as a registered Incorporated Entity in the State of Victoria. Per the Association Model Rules, all applying members are required to:
- Be approved by the Committee of Management prior to being officially onboarded as a member of the association, and
- Pay the applicable membership fee as outlined above. Note, membership fees are subject to change.
All members are bound to abide by the Association Model Rules, our Code of Conduct and Ethics, and any supplementary instructions and rules as outlined by the association.
All information collected by the Mornington Railway Preservation Society Inc (MRPS) is protected by the information Privacy Act 2000. Any information collected from you will only be used for the purpose of administering MRPS. Information (including personal information) will not be disclosed to third parties unless authorised by law or with your consent.
The Mornington Railway observes a strict zero tolerance Drug and Alcohol policy when on site in an operational capacity.
The Mornington Tourist Railway is a safety first organisation, and all volunteers are required to act in compliance of the rules set down by the Office of the National Rail Safety Regulator (ONRSR).
Working with Children’s Check (WWCC) Requirements
Mornington Tourist Railway maintains a Protection of Young People policy and is dedicated to ensuring the safety of young people who choose to visit and/or work at our railway.
You need to have a Working with Children’s Check (WWCC) to be an active volunteer at the railway. Submitting your WWCC is done mostly online, with verification then completed at a post office.
To submit your request, visit http://www.workingwithchildren.vic.gov.au/
This check is completed at no cost to members of volunteer organisations such as ours, so you will not be out of pocket.
A member of our railway can be on hand to assist you with your application with prior arrangement.
Already have a WWCC? You need to register Mornington Tourist Railway as an additional organisation for your check. To do this, visit:
By volunteering, you are required to seek a Working With Children's Check (WWCC) within 30 days of the acceptance of your membership from the Committee of Management. Your activities at the railway will be limited to non-operational activities or acting in a fully supervised capacity pending your WWCC application being processed. Failure to obtain a WWCC within the required timeframe will see your membership at the Mornington Tourist Railway rescinded.